Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 is almost done...

Wow, I can't believe that we are so close to the end of another year. 2011 has gone by fast, and it just doesn't seem like we are approaching 2012 in just 2 days.

It's been a good year, with loads of vacation time, spending time with family and relatives and experiencing fun new things. We feel very blessed and are very thankful that heavenly father takes such good care of us, as long as we do our part and do what we are supposed to be doing.

I finished my first semester at the BYU-Idaho and even though it was more work than I thought it would be, it was fun and I enjoyed it very much. I am scared to start a new semester next week, scared because I have to take math, but I am hoping that it will go better than I think it will.

Different things are going through my mind right now as I think about this past year. Life isn't always easy and even more difficult when you suffer from depressions, and you see things in a more different light than you usually would. Trying to be happy when you feel unhappy and angry all the time, isn't easy at all, but I will continue to do my best and hope that everyone around me will be patient with me as much as possible.

I have noticed more and more this year, that more and more people around me, focus more and more on material things instead of the things that are really important. New phones, cars, big-flat-screen-TV's, all those high-technology stuff, expensive and brand-new, expensive clothes... so very important for so many. It bugs me I have to admit, because I don't see why a 10 year old (or younger) already needs a cell phone (not to mention such a fancy one they all seem to have) and all these other fancy things.
Everyone is whining and complaining about how they don't have any money and how they are struggling financially, but they have to waste all their money on so much junk.

What is the world coming to and what makes us say we need, need, need all these luxuaries and why we continue to see it as a necessesity while for real it is a luxuary? We are teaching our kids to be wasteful, and to spend the money we don't have, on things we don't need!

It makes me sad, because those material things seem to mean more to a lot of people, than trying to grow spiritually. It makes us selfish, greedy and it means we don't have our priorities in order.

Why does it have to be clothes from a special brand? Why do we need a new cellphone, I pod, Ipad (or whatever those things are called) when our old one still works fine? Is it because we want to be cool and have to compete with everyone else? Are we really this vain? Do we really care more about those fancy things and what others think of us, than what is really important in life?

No wonder America has no money. Everyone spends freely to get the things they WANT and the excuse is, they need it... and then they don't have money for the things that are really important or they actually do need. It is a bad evil circle...

I think we can live without a lot of things, but we have to be willing to give it up. To be honest I don't care what others think of me. If I am not cool because I have a cheap and lame phone, old car and don't wear brand clothes, well that's just too bad but it is not my problem. I am not saying I am better than others, absolutely not. But I have learned what is really important in life and material things aren't.
Sure, if we want to spoil ourselves a little bit now and then, no problem.... If we have the money for it!!!However, if we just spend and waste money we don't even have to spend and waste, then it is just wrong.

When will America (and any country/ culture really) wake up! When will we start focusing on more important things? Heavenly father blesses us so much, but it never seems to be enough and we want more and more, instead of being grateful for what we have.

Those material things are only fun for here, we can't take them with us when we pass on, did you ever think about that?

May 2012 bless you all. May the new year make us realize how stupid and unimportant all those material things are, and that we finally try to focus on things that are important for our eternal life. I am grateful I have the gospel in my life. I am grateful that Jesus Christ died for me and that I can return to live with him and heavenly father after this life. I am grateful that I can work on, what really is important in life, every single day and that I can give myself wake-up calls, to remember why we are here on this earth and what our goal should be.

No comments: