Saturday, December 26, 2009

2nd Christmas day in Germany... December 26th 2009

My thoughts are going crazy right now. I just finished my grandma's "book of life" or "a book of her life" and I am pretty touched and a bit sad too. It is such a wonderful and special gift to me because I do love my grandma very much and I have always been very close to her. She is going to be 75 years old on December 31 and reading all those stories about her and my loved one's makes me miss them.
My cousin and my grandma made this book together this year and they printed it too. It looks awesome and has so many wonderful pictures in there, some I haven't even seen before. I love it and it is definitely my most precious christmas gift. :)
One picture that made me pretty sad is of my grandpa. It is taken the day before he passed away (over 7 1/2 years ago) and I never saw it before. I was on my mission when he died and it was hard but I know I am going to see him again.
The last time I saw him was April 2nd 2002 (a month before he passed on). I came over to say good bye to him and my grandma before leaving for the MTC. I remember hugging him, starting to walk away (he had been very ill with cancer at that time) and when I turned back, I saw him crying. I never saw him crying before so that was so hard for me. Just writing about it makes me very emotional but I want to share with everyone how dear he was to me.
What a blessing it is to have the knowledge I have. I am so grateful that I know that I will see him (and my other grandpa as well) again. I am grateful that I have a wonderful family and in-law-family and that I know even when we die, we will be together again. Life isn't over after death and I know that I am a daughter of God. It isn't just that I learn that in church I feel it in my heart.
I had been feeling kind of depressed and disappointed today even a bit angry about things that happened in the past fewe weeks. But after reading my grandma's story I realized that none of these things really matter. What matters is, that I know that I have a wonderful family, that I know that God loves me and that he is there for me whenever I need him (especially during hard and tough times) and that I can do anything as long as I trust in the Lord and do my part.
Life is tough and trials are no fun, but they make us stronger in the end. I have to admit I miss my family like crazy right now but with this wonderful book I feel even more closer to each and one of them.
I am so grateful for the Christmas season when we get to reflect on those most important things in life and family is definitely one of it.
One of my favorite quotes say's it all: "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it!"

No comments: